Oakley Teams with Rory McIlroy to Support UNICEF
Oakley, Inc. has teamed up with pro golfer Rory McIlroy, a UNICEF Ambassador and proud member of the Oakley family, to launch a social media event that will help support UNICEF with donations during the 2012 U.S. Open.
Taking advantage of the power of Twitter, the special promotion provides an opportunity for McIlroy’s fans and all viewers of the U.S. Open to show their support of UNICEF. For every fan that tweets with the hashtag #RoryReturns during the tournament, Oakley will contribute $1 to UNICEF. This will continue until the total contribution reaches $20,000. All tweets must take place during the tournament, and they must be public in order to be tallied.
Oakley is adding another aspect to the social media event, one that will let fans stay engaged with direct participation as they watch McIlroy compete. Whenever the young golf phenom birdies a hole, Oakley will double the donation by making another $1 contribution to UNICEF for each fan that tweets with the hashtag #RoryBirdies during the play. These donations will continue until an additional $5000 is contributed by Oakley, and the grand total of donations could reach $25,000.
“We are honored to team with Rory and his fans to help support UNICEF,” said Scott Bowers, SVP of Global Marketing and Brand Development at Oakley. “The work of UNICEF is critical, and it is entirely supported by contributions. We are proud of Rory’s work as a UNICEF Ambassador and excited to see fans show their support by participating in this event.”
McIlroy made his first visit to Haiti after the 2011 Masters and saw how the country was reeling from the devastation of the January 2010 earthquake. The catastrophe left Haiti shattered and many of its citizens without access to food, shelter or basic medical services, and the challenges continue even now.
Rory’s visit brought awareness to the vital work of UNICEF, and it also gave the pro golfer some perspective. “I have deliberately thought about Haiti out on the course,” said Rory. “When I’ve been faced with a particularly tough shot and got a little nervous, I have just said to myself, ‘Why are you getting so uptight about golf?’ That’s the perspective it has given me.”
The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to help children survive and thrive by supporting child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS.
OAKLEY RORY McIlROY/UNICEF DONATION CAMPAIGN
Program Terms and Conditions/Official Rules
1. Eligibility: OAKLEY RORY McIIROY/UNICEF DONATION CAMPAIGN (the “Program”) is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia, eighteen (18) years of age or older. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
2. Charitable Purpose: The funds raised from this Program will be put towards charitable endeavors to support UNICEF in its efforts to build a world where the rights of every child are realized and to advance the cause of humanity throughout the world.
3. Sponsor: Oakley, Inc., One Icon, Foothills Ranch, CA 92610.
Charitable Organization: United States Fund for UNICEF, 125 Maiden Lane, New York, NY 10038 (the “Charity”).
4. How To Participate: Between June 14, 2012 and June 17, 2012 during Rory McIlroy’s play at the US Open Golf 2012 Tournament (the “Promotion Period”), send out a tweet from your Twitter account with the hasthtag #RoryReturns. For every tweet, Sponsor will donate $1 to the Charity, up to a donation of $20,000. In addition, Sponsor will donate an additional $1, up to $5,000 for a total donation of $25,000, when Rory McIlroy birdies and participants re-tweet #RoryBirdies. For further information on the Charity, please see http://www.unicefusa.org. The Charity does not endorse any brand or product.
Tweets posted to or received from twitter.com from your mobile device may be subject to wireless-service provider charges for each message sent and received. Please consult your wireless-service provider regarding its pricing plans.
By tweeting other than what is required, each participant warrants and represents the following with respect to their Twitter message: (a) entrant is the sole and exclusive owner of the message; and (b) the tweet is participant’s own creation and will not infringe on any rights of any third parties. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to disqualify any tweets that are inappropriate for any reason, including without limitation, for depicting or mentioning sex, violence, drugs, alcohol and/or inappropriate language. Tweets that are incomplete, contain irregular or invalid information, or are corrupted are void and will not be accepted.
Participants may not obtain any cash or money in exchange for tweeting or for the donation and do not receive any tax deduction.
5. Random Drawings: Five (5) prize winners will be randomly selected in daily drawings from all eligible participants who follow the @oakley Twitter account and tweet from their Twitter account #RoryReturns or #RoryBirdies during the Promotion Period, according to the Promotion Schedule below. Odds of being a winner depend on the number of eligible tweets received. Decisions of Sponsor are final and binding in all matters.
SCHEDULE OF RANDOM DRAWINGS
June 14 9:00 AM PST – 6:00 PM PST
June 15 9:00 AM PST – 6:00 PM PST
June 16 9:00 AM PST – 6:00 PM PST
June 17 9:00 AM PST – 6:00 PM PST
All tweets received on the first day of the Promotion Period are “rolled forward” for inclusion in the second daily drawing, and such rollovers will continue throughout the Promotion Period.
6. Winner Notification: The prize winners will be notified on each of the Promotion Dates by Twitter direct message. If a prize notification is returned as non-deliverable, if a winner cannot be contacted within twenty-four (24) hours of Promotion Date or if a winner is found to be ineligible or not in compliance with the Program, such prize will be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, may be awarded to an alternate winner for the drawing at issue.
7. Prize & Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): Each of the twenty (20) winners during the Promotion Period will receive one (1) Oakley polo shirt and one (1) Oakley golf towel, Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) $45. Total ARV all prizes: $900. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected, time permitting. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of the prize by a winner is permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of comparable or greater value, at its sole discretion. Prizes will be sent to winner’s mailing address via U.S. Mail within 7-10 days of notification.
8. Payment Terms: Sponsor shall make the donation payment to the Charity within sixty (60) days of the conclusion of the Promotion Period, and the payment amount will be calculated based on the number of participants who tweeted Sponsor’s hashtags #RoryReturns or #RoryBirdies during the Promotion Period (up to a maximum total donation payment of $25,000). Information concerning the Charity, including financial, licensing or charitable purpose may be obtained, without cost, by writing to Charity via the information above.
9. Release: By participating in this Program, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Charity and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective agents and agencies, and their respective officers, director, employees and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Program.
10. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Program, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Program, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify an individual it finds to be tampering with the tweeting process or the operation of the Program or to be acting in violation of these Terms and Conditions/Official Rules or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Program may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Terms and conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
11. Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by you, printing errors, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Program; (b) technical failures or any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; © unauthorized human intervention in any part of the registration process or the Program; or (d) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Program or the tabulation or tracking of donations.
13. Winners List: For a list of winners, email email@example.com, Attn.: OAKLEY RORY McIlROY/UNICEF DONATION CAMPAIGN, to be received by June 30, 2012.
This Program is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Twitter.