Top Photos From The 2013 Giro d’italia
The 2013 Giro d’italia is in the books and to say it was an epic race is an understatement. Some of the best riders in the world battled some less than favorable conditions throughout the 21 stages of the race, including strong winds, blistering rain and even downpours of snow on multiple occasions.
Oakley riders persevered however; securing some of the top spots in one of road cycling’s biggest races of the year. Italy’s Vincenzo Nibali, of Astana, donned the pink jersey for winner of the general classification category, finishing the race in an overall time of 84:53:28". Additionally, Britain and Omega Pharma-Quick Step’s legendary sprinter, Mark Cavendish earned the red jersey for overall points leader. Both sported their Oakley RadarLock sport performance glasses on the podium with a fitting choice of Positive Red Iridium lenses to go with their respective final jerseys. Other Oakley riders had a successful Giro, including the 2011 Tour de France champion, Cadel Evans, of BMC Racing, who finished third in the general classification standings.
While the story has been told, the images depict the REAL magic of the Giro d’italia. Check out some of the best photos to come out of this year’s race, all courtesy of Tim de Waele of TDW Sport. Enjoy!
1. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita/Astana) 84:53:28"
2. Rigoberto Uran (Col/Team Sky) +4’43"
3. Cadel Evans (Aus/BMC Racing) +5’52"
4. Michele Scarponi (Ita/Lampre) +6’48"
5. Carlos Betancur (Col/AG2R) +7’28"
Final points standings:
1. Mark Cavendish (GB/Omega Pharma – Quick-Step) 158 points
2. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita/Astana) 128
3. Cadel Evans (Aus/BMC Racing) 111
4. Carlos Betancur (Col/AG2R) 108
5. Giovanni Visconti (Ita/Movistar) 105