Dramatic Finish to Giro d'Italia
The cobblestone streets in Rome were ice-rink slick Sunday when Denis Menchov headed onto the course to try to clinch his victory in the Giro d’Italia.
Oakley’s Danilo Di Luca had held the pink jersey for seven days of the fabled Giro before Menchov wrested it from him on Stage 12, the individual time trial held in Cinque Terre. In the end, though, the competition between them came down to the last day and the last minutes after more than 86 hours of racing.
Di Luca, the 2007 Giro winner, went into the final time trial 20 seconds behind Menchov. Although a better climber than time trialist, he had hoped to change his fortunes on these streets.
“I am not disappointed,” said Di Lica. “I could do nothing more. I risked it all.”
Lance Armstrong, the seven-time Tour de France winner, did not want to take those risks Sunday, on the slick roads that could easily cause a rider to fall. Armstrong, who broke his right collarbone in March, raced somewhat conservatively in the time trial. Armstrong, who used this Giro as training for the Tour de France, finished 12th over all in the race, 15:59 out of first.
Carlos Sastre (OAKLEY RADAR), won two of the hardest mountain’s stage. He finally finished in 4th place. Sastre is off to rest before defending his Tour de France title.
Mark Cavendish (OAKLEY JAWBONE) won three stages before deciding to leave the race to rest for the Tour de France, in which he won four stages last year.
11 OAKLEY STAGE VICTORIES:
- STAGE NUMBER ONE. TEAM COLUMBIA. “TEAM DEAL”.
- STAGE NUMBER FOUR. DANILO DI LUCA. RADAR.
- STAGE NUMBER SEVEN. EDVALD BOASSON HAGEN. RADAR
- STAGE NUMBER EIGHT. KANSTANTSIN SIUTSOU. RADAR
- STAGE NUMBER NINE. MARK CAVENDISH. JAWBONE
- STAGE NUMBER TEN. DANILO DI LUCA. RADAR
- STAGE NUMBER ELEVEN. MARK CAVENDISH. JAWBONE.
- STAGE NUMBER THIRDTEEN. MARK CAVENDISH. JAWBONE.
- STAGE NUMBER FOURTEEN. SIMON GERRANS. JAWBONE.
- STAGE NUMBER SIXTEEN. CARLOS SASTRE. RADAR.
- STAGE NUMBER NINETEEN. CARLOS SASTRE. RADAR.
OAKLEY LEADER JERSEYS.
- MARK CAVENDISH. 2 DAYS.
- DANILO DI LUCA. 8 DAYS.
1 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank
2 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) LPR Brakes – OAKLEY
3 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas
4 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Cervelo OAKLEY
8 Michael Rogers (Aus) Team Columbia OAKLEY
12 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana OAKLEY