Carmichael Picks Up 99th Career Win WICK
Oakley’s Ricky Carmichael, picked up his 99th AMA Motocross win, and 147th of his career, this weekend at the Southwick National, round three of the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship. Carmichael, who has three races remaining before retiring into his new venture of stock car racing, had some stiff competition in the first moto from fellow Oakley pilot James Stewart.
As the moto wore on, Stewart found himself slipping backwards to the reigning champ of the outdoors. RC reeled Bubba in with only a handful of laps remaining, made his move to the front position and never looked back as he sailed away to the first moto victory. In Moto two, RC got out front early and hammered down to the second moto victory with a sizeable lead. This win gives RC his 12th victory at Southwick’s famed Motocross 338 facility. Stewart was second overall with a 2-2 moto finish.
“Seven years of training (with trainer Aldon Baker) really pay off at a track like this,” said Carmichael, referring to the physical stamina required at the sand track at Motocross 338. “I’ve done pretty well here over the years, but let me tell you, it doesn’t make it any easier.”
As part of an official Proclamation, which was presented to Carmichael in opening ceremonies, the City of Southwick recognized June 10, 2007, as “Ricky Carmichael Day.”
“It is really special and meant a lot to me,” said Carmichael. “To be honest, it’s the only reason that I came here. I wasn’t planning on coming to race Southwick but (the Proclamation) changed my mind.”
Oakley’s pride and joy Ryan Dungey placed third overall this weekend with a (3-3) moto finish. In Dungey’ first full season as a professional, he continues to climb the ladder of success in the lites division. Look for Dungey to start topping the podiums.
Motocross (Moto Finish)
- Ricky Carmichael, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 1-1
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 2-2
- Grant Langston, Clermont, Fla., Yamaha, 3-3
Motocross Class Point Standings
- Ricky Carmichael, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 147
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 131
- Grant Langston, Clermont, Fla., Yamaha, 101
Motocross Lites (Moto Finish)
- Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 2-1
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 2-2
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 3-3
Motocross Lites Point Standings
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 138
- Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki,130
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 116