Oakley’s Dungey Makes it Two in a Row, Grabs Points Lead at High Point
The third round of the 2010 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship endured a mixture of rain and sun on Saturday as the series made its East Coast debut at the Rockstar Energy High Point National Presented by Centra Bank from High Point Raceway. After breaking through for his first 450 Class victory last weekend, Oakley’s Ryan Dungey made it two in a row.
Dungey maintained the momentum he garnered last weekend, going 1-1 on the day to establish a four moto win streak. After grabbing the lead early in moto one, he never looked back but was forced to chase down Honda Red Bull Racing’s Andrew Short in moto two. Overcoming a multiple-second deficit, he closed in during the closing stages and made the winning pass to lead the final five laps.
“It feels good,” said Dungey. “The track turned out better than I thought after the first moto. I got good starts and put us in a good position to be out front. There were a lot of passing lines today. Sometimes you get caught behind someone and have difficulty moving through the pack and that’s where starts play a big role.”
By virtue of the win, Dungey moved into the 450 Class points lead, surpassing defending champion Chad Reed who suffered from misfortune en route to an 18th-place effort. Short held on for second overall (3-2) while Brett Metcalfe grabbed his first career podium finish in the premier class in third (6-3).
The Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship continues next weekend from Mechanicsville, Md., for round four and the MotoTees.com Budds Creek National from Budds Creek MX Park on June 19.
Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship
High Point Raceway – Mt. Morris, Pa.
June 12, 2010
Round 3 of 12
450 Class (Moto Finish)
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (1-1)
2. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda (3-2)
3. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda (6-3)
4. Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda (4-6)
5. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM (7-5)
6. Matt Goerke, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha (5-7)
7. Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki (11-4)
8. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha (2-24)
9. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha (10-11)
10. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Yamaha (9-12)
450 Class Championship Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 126
2. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda, 101
3. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 98
4. Chad Reed, Australia, Kawasaki, 95
5. Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda, 87
6. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 82
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 79
8. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 76
9. Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki, 71
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 55