Rodeo: Ryan Villopoto Claims Second at Supercross Dallas, Retakes Championship Lead
The intense battle for the Supercross Championship lead has been nothing short of a rodeo this year – with the top riders bucking each other off as more drama unfolds every race.
Dallas was no different.
Oakley MX star Ryan Villopoto emerged with a solid second place finish in the Lonestar State – kicking him back up into the standings lead and sending last week’s leader Reed six points back. O’s own defending Ryan Dungey rounded out the podium after scoring his first win last week, keeping him well in the hunt himself.
But as always, it wasn’t a pretty road. In fact, it was downright nasty.
Coming out of the gates, Trey Canard appeared to have the edge approaching the holeshot, but Mike Alessi plowed in from the outside and grabbed the first turn before Canard snatched the front and pulled away from the field.
Hot on Canard’s tail was none other than Chad Reed, Oakley’s Superstar James “Bubba” Stewart, Dungey and RV. Then the shuffle took hold.
After some rough riding by Stewart and Reed, Dungey and Villopoto powered up to second and third for a couple of laps…but a collision between Dungey and Michael Byrne sent Dungey to the dirt for a hot second.
The result: Villopoto grabbed the second spot and never looked back – as Canard flew through the checkered flags 2.1 seconds in front of both RV and Dungey.
And reflective of the season thus far, the standings skirmish continues in full force. Be sure to stay tuned as the top riders vie for the lead. It’s only going to get better from here.
Congrats to both RV and Dungey for the podium finishes – and may all of our riders continue to charge toward the Championship!
Supercross Class Results: Arlington
1. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
7. Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Yamaha
8. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
9. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Yamaha
10. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM
Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 255
2. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 249
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 248
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 239
5. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 234
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 174
7. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 150
8. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 141
9. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha – 128
10. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki – 114