Rampagin’: Oakley’s Ryan Dungey Grabs Eighth Straight Win at Unadilla, Leads International Podium
And Dungey’s rampage continues.
After a three-week break, the 2010 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship returned to action for Round 9 on Saturday with the Rockstar Energy Unadilla National from Unadilla Valley Sports Center. A massive crowd was on hand as the world’s best riders attacked one of the most legendary tracks in the country.
After grabbing the holeshot in the first premier class moto, Oakley sensation Ryan Dungey never looked back, continually extending his advantage over the field to the checkered flag. In Moto 2, the rookie worked his way into the lead after a top five start, engaging in a great battle with teammate and World Motocross Championship contender Clement Desalle, of Belgium, to secure the moto sweep in the late stages.
“I got a good start in Moto 1 and put myself in position to lead laps and take the win,” said Dungey, who can wrap up the coveted title at the next round. “I wasn’t thinking of the overall (in Moto 2). I just race to win every time out. Clement (Desalle) surprised me. It’s not easy to come over (to the states) and do well. It was good for him and good for us to have a competitive moto.”
Desalle, riding for Suzuki in a guest appearance in the U.S., finished second (2-2) while Honda’s Brett Metcalfe, of Australia, rounded out the overall podium (5-3) that featured riders from three different continents. In his long-awaited return to American motocross, Oakley’s James Stewart (now also a reality TV star), of Haines City, Fla., finished 11th overall (3-35).
Dungey now holds a 111-point advantage heading into an off week and sits just one win away from tying 10-time AMA Motocross champion – and Oakley Motocross Legend – Ricky Carmichael, of Tallahassee, Fla., for the most wins ever by a rookie. He also leads the division in average finish at 1.9 and laps led with 144.
Watch for Ryan as he continues to plow through the competition this season. And the O continues its prominence in motocross.
Full Results (Oakley Team Riders Bolded):
Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship
Rockstar Energy Unadilla National
Unadilla Valley Sports Center
August 14, 2010
Round 9 of 12
450 Class (Moto Finish)
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (1-1)
2. Clement Desalle, Belgium, Suzuki (2-2)
3. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda (5-3)
4. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda (4-5)
5. Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda (8-6)
6. Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda (7-9)
7. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha (9-8)
8. Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha (11-7)
9. Josh Grant, Riverside, Fla., Yamaha (6-14)
10. Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki (10-11)
450 Class Championship Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 418
2. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 307
3. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda, 293
4. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 260
5. Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda, 249
6. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 235
7. Chad Reed, Australia, Kawasaki, 204
8. Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda, 185
9. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 183
10. Ryan Sipes, Flaherty, Texas, Yamaha, 181