Retaking the Lead: Bubba Stewart Mashes to Victory in Oakland Supercross, Moves to Top Spot in Standings
Bubba is hungry.
Oakley’s Motocross Superstar officially retook the Supercross standings lead this past weekend after emerging victorious in Oakland for his second triumph of the season.
But as always, it didn’t come easy.
Chad Reed was the rider to blaze out of the gates up front, but Oakley’s Ryan Villopoto took things into his own hands after the first sweeper, pushing ahead of Bubba for the front spot.
And it held for two laps…until a 180-degree bowl turn handed the lead to Stewart, dropping Ryan back to fourth following a quick recovery.
And it was all smooth sailing from there for Bubba – holding a solid cushion between himself and the rest of the field for the remaining 18 laps.
“This is a great win for me and the team,” Bubba said. “It’s a long season and it’s all about winning a championship. The rain tonight made it a little difficult, but I am glad I came out on top.”
Fellow Oakley Star Ryan Dungey partook in some battling of his own, pushing from fourth at the start of the race, to second just past the halfway point. But some traffic and a charging Reed led to a visibly upset Ryan being passed for second right before the checkered flag.
And despite a second crash, Villopoto still finished in fourth. All in all, one solid finish for O Team Riders.
Congratulations to Bubba and all of our boys for an awesome race in O-Town!
Supercross Class Results: Oakland
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
2. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
4. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
5. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
6. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
7. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
8. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
9. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
10. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
Supercross Class Season Standings
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 92
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 90
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 78
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 71
5. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 70
6. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 55
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 49
8. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda – 46
9. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 39
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha – 39