Currie Clinches AMA Championships
Oakley’s Jeff Ward ended his reign as AMA Red Bull Supermoto champion with a ride befitting that title during the final round of the AMA Supermoto Championship at Troy Lee’s Supermoto Mayhem at The Morongo hosted at the Casino Morongo Resort and Spa last weekend. Oakley’s Brandon Currie captured his third victory of the season in the Hot Wheels AMA Supermoto Lites class.
While Ward checked out at the front, leading every single lap and never crossing the stripe with any rider within a second of him, Burkhart settled in for a relatively safe ride in the top five, needing just three points to secure his first-ever AMA Supermoto crown.
Ward announced that this victory would be the last of his legendary career as he is going out on top, retiring after his season-ending victory.
"I am happy to have been able to run out front today, and come away safe from this event," remarked Ward who lives in Newport Beach, CA. "This will be my last Supermoto race. I have been racing and competing for a very long time and it wears and tears at you over time. I am still going to be at the races and involved in Supermoto, but now I will able to spend more time with my wife and four kids."
Burkhart ended the season with 223 points to Ward’s 206, while Herfoss was a distant third at 167. Fillmore (140) and Drew (139) rounded out the season’s top five.
On the opening lap of the Hot Wheels AMA Supermoto Lites, Oakley’s Brandon Currie, of Anaheim, Calif., and LA Fuels Husqvarna’s Adam Cini, of San Diego, Calif., were able to find their way around Robbie Smith before a crash moved Smith to the middle of the pack. Currie and Cini raced within inches of each other the entire race. Currie took the narrow victory, clinching his first-ever AMA Supermoto Lites Championship. Cini was second and Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Matt Abbott, of Conyers, Ga., was third.
"This is such an amazing feeling," remarked Currie. "I have worked for a championship the last four years and to finally achieve my goal feels awesome. I want thank Grave’s Yamaha and all my family for all of their support over the years."
AMA Supermoto Race Results
- Jeff Ward, Newport Beach, Calif., Troy Lee Designs Honda
- Cassidy Anderson, Provo, Utah, Troy Lee Designs Honda
- Mark Burkhart, Pataskala, Ohio, Graves Motorsports Yamaha
AMA Supermoto Point Standings
- Mark Burkhart, Pataskala, Ohio, Graves Motorsports Yamaha, 223
- Jeff Ward, Newport Beach, Calif., Troy Lee Designs Honda, 206
- Troy Herfoss, Australia, HMC KTM, 167
Hot Wheels AMA Supermoto Lites Race Results
- David Pingree, Temecula, Calif., Troy Lee Designs Honda
- Brandon Currie, Anaheim, Calif., Graves Motorsports Yamaha
- Adam Cini, San Diego, Calif., LA Fuel Husqvarna
Hot Wheels AMA Supermoto Lites Point Standings
- Brandon Currie, Anaheim, Calif., Graves Motorsports Yamaha, 223
- David Pingree, Temecula, Calif., Troy Lee Designs Honda, 207
- Adam Cini, San Diego, Calif., LA Fuel Husqvarna, 172